History / 1920

  • 1920

    Oscar Heyman & Brothers moves to 71 Nassau Street.

    1925

    Bracelets become a popular ornament during the Roaring ‘20s. Known as the Birds in Flight bracelet, this piece re-appears at a 1998 Sotheby’s Geneva auction.

    1930 (ca.)

    The Pansy Brooch is designed, and becomes an Oscar Heyman & Brothers staple. It is produced exclusively for Tiffany and Co. from the mid- 1980s through 2000.

    1936

    Oscar Heyman & Brothers relocates to 642 Fifth Avenue and becomes of owner of The Crown of the Andes.

    1939, April

    The New York World’s Fair opens and Oscar Heyman & Brothers has manufactured for four of the five retailers’ exhibits in the House of Jewels (Cartier, Udall & Ballou, Marcus & Company, and Black, Starr, and Frost-Gorham). The firm earns the appellation ‘the jewelers’ jeweler®.’ The firm begins manufacturing for the New York shop of Van Cleef & Arpels.


  • 1922

    Oscar Heyman & Brothers moves to 58 West 40th street, near the Fifth Avenue jewelry retailers. The firm patents its die-stamping machine and process.


    1929, November

    The firm is awarded a patent for an innovative type of platinum bracelet link.


    1933

    Nathan Heyman travels to Colombia to negotiate the firms purchase of a portion of output from the Chivor emerald mine. Oscar Heyman receives a patent for a method of constructing double-clip brooches.


    1937

    Oscar Heyman & Brothers celebrates its 25th anniversary. The workshop presents a clock, crafted in secret, to the Heyman brothers. The clock is proudly displayed today.